I Shot the Sheriff- Week 9 Blog Post

 


"I Shot the Sheriff"-cover by Eric Clapton
  
  For this blog post, I decided to listen to "I Shot the Sheriff" which is a cover by Eric Clapton of an original tune by Bob Marley. Both versions are good, but I prefer Eric Clapton's version better. I have always loved listening to this song; I think that Eric Clapton is a fantastic artist. This song has a reggae tune to it much like the original version. I do like listening to reggae quite often because most of the songs have more of a soothing feel to the music, but the lyrics are usually very catchy. The beat of this song goes well with Eric Clapton's guitar playing. The song is pretty controversial in itself; it has lyrics that say things like shooting a sheriff and how "his reflexes got the better of him" after he shot him. The emotions of this song seem somewhat depressing, but also seem mysterious as to what is going to happen to the person who shot the sheriff. This song has both a riff and a hook. A riff is a repeated, melodic idea and a hook is a musical phrase that is particularly catchy or memorable. The way that Eric Clapton plays the guitar is great. Even though the song has interesting lyrics, the song is very good and Eric Clapton did a great job covering it. 

Comments

  1. I really appreciate your insight on this song! This song does have a reggae sound to it which I like as well. It is also very catchy. I was surprised how long the intro is in this song. When I listened to this song I was instantly intrigued by Eric Clapton's voice the rasp in it is just very pleasing to listen to. I really like how you explained this song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment