Listening Blog #3 "Great Speckled Bird" by Roy Acuff

 

"Great Speckled Bird"-Roy Acuff


 The song I decided for this blog is "Great Speckled Bird" by Roy Acuff. I chose this song because it seemed like such a nice and gentle song. To me, it seems like the music and the song go together well. It has a nice country tune and goes well with Roy's southern voice. This song fits well under the Listening category and sounds like it has a groove, which is a pattern that channels particular rhythms. I believe this song evokes being true to what you believe in. There is a verse in the Bible, Jeremiah 12:9, and this is what the first part states, "Has not my inheritance become to me like a speckled bird of prey that other birds of prey surround and attack?" While listening to the song, it seems as if Roy is singing about having a belief in God and being able to follow Him until the day the Lord calls him home.
The musical features in this song have some Bluegrass and Old Country which are other genres that I enjoy listening to. I believe this is a song that anybody can listen to whether they have a relationship with God or not. 
  

Comments

  1. When I listened to the song I wasn't listening very closely. I missed the whole part about beliefs, but after reading what you wrote I find it hard to miss. I thought he was just singing about a bird with no real deeper meaning behind it. You did a good job on finding and expressing that deeper meaning to the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your insightful comment here! This song is really relaxing to me, and I think that the use of symbolism of the bird here is really strange (I am an english major) and birds are used to represent lots of things, and I've never heard of one, especially a speckled bird, being used in this way and it really is a cool way to use a lesser known bible type of symbolism in the song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment